Sunday, 18 August 2013

Hello is there anybody out there?

You want to write, but the words just don't come out!..unfortunately in my case the do and they're usually jumbled. A state of flux doesn't lend itself to the greatest of writing. I actually feel sorry anyone who stumbles across my blog as they probably think of me as some desperate, lonely sad case. Although I am desperately lonely. The Skype chats between my girlfriend and I have become almost routine, formulaic. The novelty of seeing and hearing a loved one on the other side of the world somewhat wears off when you can't touch them when you can't truly connect with them, people can talk for hours and hours on end and end up saying nothing.

I'm hoping the next few months pass quicker that the first month or so. The old cliche of some days being harder than others is true. My hardest day is usually today Sunday for whatever reason. Most likely it has to do with the amount of free time I have on my hands versus the other days when I manage to keep myself occupied and somewhat sane. My sanity is not helped by the fact I'm living in rural Ireland with my parents on the wrong end of my 20's. But you know what, that's all excuses. Excuses are what a lot of people use to justify their 'sadness'. Some people wallow in their sadness, I have been gladly wallowing in mine for the past couple of weeks.

But it gets you nowhere, it will eventually drive you insane. Being away from your loved one shouldn't come at the expense of your sanity. There is a hell of a lot of people going through much rougher times than I. My uncle in law who for the past 18 months or so has been battling gainly against rampant cancer, has just been told this week that cancer has spread into his kidneys. What an absolute body blow for a man that was expecting a bit of good news from one of his routine check-ups.

He's been pretty much handed a death sentence. I dread to think how I'd react to such news (not well going by how I'm coping with my current circumstance.)  I suppose what I'm trying to say is that no matter how bad you perceive your life to be there's always someone worse off than you. Just think about them the next time you bemoan your current situation and surroundings. I should give thanks that I'm healthy and relatively happy because in the blink of an eye it can all change. It's a funny old caper this life craic.

* I know what I'm saying is in no way vaguely original and has been said a million times. It doesn't change the fact that sometimes you have to experience the really shit times in your life to truly appreciate the good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment